Monday, June 20, 2005

The Lance Armstrong Foundation


Around the same time Lance Armstrong was facing his battle with cancer, I had just learned that my mother had lung cancer. All I knew about the disease was that people usually died when they had it. I was perfectly healthy and in my mind it would never affect me personally. This time, it had. Not directly, but this was my mother, so it was indeed personal.

Several months later, my father informed me that he had prostate cancer. As far as we knew, there were two options: either the victim died, or had a radical prostatectomy which meant adult diapers and embarrassing accidents. There were very few alternative treatments that we were made aware of.

My dad made it about a year before he passed away, withered and brittle; frail bones and flesh. My mom fought as hard as she could and always remained optimistic. She died exactly one year to the day after my father.

A few years later, as an avid cyclist, I was astounded to watch Lance Armstrong win the 1999 Tour de France. To win a stage of the Tour is phenomenal. To win the race, almost unimaginable. And of course now, to have won it six consecutive times and try for seven is nearly beyond comprehension. The most amazing part of it all? He owes it all to cancer. It taught him to fight. It taught him to endure pain. It taught him how to be a survivor.

There are many wonderful organizations dedicated to fighting cancer, searching for a cure, and helping people. But the LAF is a little different. It focuses not only on research, treatments, and cures, but also advocacy, clinical trials, and most of all survivorship. The LAF promotes knowledge and education. It teaches the newly diagnosed to pursue every last bit of available information, to ask questions, to get a second and third opinion. It teaches the patient that cancer must not take control of his or her life. It provides valuable resources to those who have just heard the words “you have cancer”. And the LAF helps us all to LiveStrong.

Right now, more than 10 million Americans are living with, through, or beyond cancer. One in three will be diagnosed with cancer during their lifetime. Of those diagnosed,
64 % of adults will be alive five years from now, and childhood cancer survival rates are now at 78%. The LAF helps survivors get on with the business of living.

I have no guess at how many people might see this blog. But in case masses of readers stumble upon it, I will unashamedly ask for their help. The fact is, cancer affects everyone. If it does not impact you personally, then you very likely know someone who either has faced it or will face it. This year, in honor of Lance’s attempt at a seventh Tour de France victory, the Lance Armstrong Foundation has set a goal to raise $7 million with its “7 for Survivors” drive. As a member of the LAF’s Peloton Project, I am doing my part to raise as much as I can toward the effort.

Whether or not you are a fan of Lance (I know some people may still be all twisted up about his divorce), you can help the cancer community tremendously with a secure, online, tax deductible donation. If every individual who might happen to view this blog contributed as little as $5.00, what a significant amount that would be toward the overall goal. At the very least, please go to http://www.laf.org/ to experience the many ways that the LAF helps.

If you would like to donate, please click on the title of this submission.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home